Ok, so I’m going to divide this into the talking/hearing communications, and the journeying communications.
Talking With Them
As I said, most of my conversations with what my brain interprets most easily as words, happens when I don’t have enough focus or energy to journey to Them. When I think-talk to Them, I usually have to be in a position where I’m generally not worried or fussing with a physical world thing, such as making dinner, or having to talk with other humans. It is often when I am already deep in reflection about one thing or another. In that state of mind, I am closed off and isolated from humanly contact and interaction. It’s not hard to think of listening for Them because I’m always thinking about Them anyway.
Now, that being said, there have been times when Baldr will keep on talking to me as my partner speaks to me, commenting on what he says, or continuing what He was saying to me before my partner spoke. I find as time goes on, it’s easier to hear Them with more external stimulation.
My usual course of action, or of relaxation, is as follows to hear Their words and talk with Them:
– no pressing obligations I have to worry about in the next few hours – do something that does not require too much thought: knitting, cross-stitching, walking, gardening, observing nature, etc.
– ensure the household is comfortable and doesn’t want to interact with me (but this is easily negated if it’s midday, or after everyone is in bed for me)
– music. Now, this may seem a strange one to some, as I am trying to listen, as it were, to the Gods. It’s usually lyric music I know so well that I don’t pay attention to the words anymore, or orchestral/instrumental music I still know fairly well to not be engrossed by it. Music, especially specific artists or genres, puts me in a trance, light, but trance nonetheless, very easily. Music highly affects my state of mind, always has, as I’m sure it does many people, but I really can lose myself and open up to the infinite when I listen to music… for that matter, even when I sing. But singing doesn’t work so well for this purpose unless I know the music so well, and have been singing for quite a while that I’m lost in it in a physical capacity as well. This takes longer, but it’s definitely more powerful. When simply listening, sometimes lyrics will pop out at me that I take as what They want me to hear from Them.
– I simply call to Them in my mind, usually waiting a moment or two to feel Their presence before beginning
– I have found it successful to just think-talk with Them. Speaking aloud definitely helps to cement what you are saying, to keep trains of thoughts a little more coherent, and usually when it is very important, I will speak aloud.
Sometimes I don’t hear anything, and I don’t feel any presence. Usually when I want to talk to Baldr, He is around. In fact, I’m not sure He is ever not there… 🙂 Though, sometimes, He doesn’t want to talk. And that’s fine. Often when this happens, it’s because it’s something I don’t need to worry about.
What do Their voices sound like?
For me, it depends on two things.
The first is whether or not I have a lot of mental energy. If I’m really tired, it sounds like my own thoughts’ voice, though the answers are still immediate and complete, and use language the way They individually do.
When the answers come when I am tired, sometimes my own mind likes to try and tack on more than what They say. When that happens, I end up thinking of what else could be added to Their answers, and I catch myself and remember that I’m not supposed to be answering myself, that if I have to think of how to answer it, then I’m making some of it up myself. I swiftly stop the train of thought. When They are answering, the answers are swift and complete and don’t require me to think of the answer; in fact, the answer comes before I can think of what I would imagine the answer would be. Remember, this is only my own experience.
As an aside, it’s weird having conversations in your head when Their words are in your mind’s voice, it’s hard to tell what’s you and what’s Them. It’s also easier to think you’re just crazy and have invented a new person to talk to in your head. This is where music can sometimes help, as lyrics will pop out and confirm something They’ve just said. You can always confirm with your divination tool of choice.
When I do have a lot of mental energy, I can usually hear Their distinct voice. There’s a caveat here, and I’ll explain that next.
The second thing this all depends on is what Face Whoever I’m talking to is deciding to wear. Now, this doesn’t mean I’m “seeing” Them. What this means is that Their faces for the entirety I’ve been hanging out or talking with Them, have collectively never had a permanent visual that stays in my mind of what They look like. It’s always changing. It’s not that it’s because of what role They employ that They want me to focus on, it’s just Their looks, They are always changing. Along with changing faces, is constantly changing voices.
Baldr’s voice has been a smooth tenor to a gruff baritone, and variations thereof. Odinn has morphed in and out of looks, demeanors and voices so many times for me, that there’s too many voices and faces to count. Frija is much the same, though when I just talk with Her, I feel emotions or little glimpses of things more than words.
I’m not sure if the looks/voices fluidity is because I’ve often told Them that even though They could use a face or voice I know, I would like for Them to present Who They really are. I have a thought that this is either Their selves unfolding from what my brain wants to substitute in as more easily recognizable; it could be that the changing is peeling back all my own inputs, for the eventual goal of having one solid visual/sound. Or, I have the feeling it could also be that They are simply fluid in those respects. At least with me. I always know Who I’m with anyhow, though for a while, I believe Odinn was changing how He presented Himself to overlap with Baldr, easing me into meeting Him.
And what about journeying? When I’m over There, it’s a much more sensual experience than language. Sight, touch, occasionally smell, and ambient sound. It’s very intimate and personal when I can visit Them instead of just talk, as though They are part of me, or flow through me. It is still very intimate in a different way when I’m actually adventuring a bit with Them. The experiences themselves seem almost an entity in and of themselves, and I am intimate with those experiences, those stories of my own adventures with Them that become every much a part of me and my memories as my physical life’s experiences innately are, and often even more so.
As for my journeying methods, they are much the same as what is stated above, though I am adding a few more points for a more intense/fully in the Otherworld instead of straddling both situation.
– darkness, or little visual stimulation (a lot of this more intense journeying happens before bed)
– music still plays a big role, in fact, it usually plays a bigger role since verbal communication isn’t as important to my journeying as the experience; I become awash and filled with the sounds, the harmonies, the emotions of the music, which helps to take my mind off the physical quite a bit, and usually helps to connect me to wherever it is I’m going
– I do not do anything physical, as touch is a very good way to keep one grounded in our physical world, and lessen the almost physical sensations I can experience in the Otherworlds
– if I am journeying in the middle of the day, I will light incense, but if it’s when people are going to bed, I won’t shock everyone’s noses and keeping them awake, that’s just rude!
– to travel to the otherworld, I used to visualize the world tree, and travel along its wide trunk, finding a door that would take me where I wanted to go (usually to Whoever I wanted to visit so long as it was good with Them). This isn’t necessary anymore for me, it doesn’t take much for me to get where I want to be, I reach up and Baldr reaches down to pull me up to Him almost as soon as I can think that I want to be with Him. It’s almost like being pulled up by the hands out of a pool by someone standing on the edge. Except it looks like I’m coming up from the soil.
There’s not much more required other than that. I usually don’t make too much of a hullabaloo about it because my Gods have been very personal, not formal, with me from the get-go. I do weekly offerings to each of Them anyway, but on special journeying occasions, I will set up circle, or make offerings beforehand.
For the next part, I will be discussing the role that memory plays in my journeying and communications with my Gods, as well as what journeying feels/looks/sounds like for me.