I finally went out and bought some honey to make me some mead! No, I don’t have the fanciest equipment, but the recipe I found was for beginners (like me!) I tried going to a place I know that sells carboys yesterday (I was thinking that they’d probably sell rubber stoppers and air locks as well), but apparently they’ve gone out of business since the last time I went there! 😦 Oh well, I ended up doing what the recipe said to do with water jugs. I was only going to do one, but the big jug of honey had enough for two one gallon jugs. So the first one is just the recipe without anything else in it, and the second has a couple allspice pods and a clove. I think what my plan is going to be is to make two gallons a month (if I can keep it to that little, lol!), and make plenty of different blends and such of fruits and herbs and spices.
So it’s been about 24 hrs, and the yeast activated right away when I first mixed everything up. I put them in the tub last night to make sure there were no explosions, but the balloons seem to be doing a wonderful job at slowly letting the gasses out while not letting anything in! Everything is just bubbling away and smelling delicious already!
I’m so excited, I don’t know how I’ll be able to wait until they’re finished in six months!
The first pic is right after everything was mixed, the second was today after taking them out of the tub.