Last night, I decided to make some Shepherd’s pie with the unthawed hamburger that was supposed to be used for quesedillas the night before (but we had sadly run out of salsa). I was finished cutting up the onion and garlic and about to start the potatoes, when I thought, mmm, I love sweet potatoes, maybe I should cut some up and put them in too! And I did, and do you know what? It was so delicious!
Mia’s Shepherd’s Pie
1 lb hamburger 1 med onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced salt & pepper to taste
3 medium potatoes, chopped 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup peas 3/4 cup green beans
1/2 cup corn (not shown) 1 medium bay leaf
1 tbsp chili powder 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoning (sage, oregano, thyme)
3/4 to 1 cup butter/margarine
half and half mixture of flour and water
1. Place 1 cup of water into a deep pan. Add salt and pepper, chopped onions, and garlic. Let simmer on med heat until onions are soft. Add hamburger and make sure it is mashed up so there will be no huge pieces. Let it brown, while occasionally stirring/mashing with spoon. Add in chilli powder, cayenne pepper, and Italian seasoning. When it is done browning, add the peas, beans and corn and let simmer for a while.
2. Cook potatoes.
3. When meat is done, make sure there is some water still there to make enough gravy. Add the half and half mix of flour and water (I like to start with about 1/2 cup of each). You’ll want the burner on about med-low for this, as flour will easily make little dumplings, lol. After it has desired thickness, salt and pepper once more to taste.
4. With the oven warming at 350 F, drain potatoes and mash with butter or margarine.
5. Place meat on bottom layer of a casserole dish (a bigger one is best suited), then carefully place the potatoes on top.
6. Cook in oven for 35 minutes, then serve after the boiling has stopped.
And as always, cook with intent. Infuse your positive energies into every meal.